Monday, July 28, 2008

3:00am ponderings.

My wife, Amy, set this blog-thing up for me yesterday. And seeing as I can't sleep I figured I would enter a "blog" or some such thing. So here it goes my first step into the blogging arena.

I plan on using this page to help me keep up with my cycling rides. I think this will add another fun spin on a sport that I have gotten extremely addicted to. I am getting back into cycling mainly for my health. I also think it is a cool "alternate energy source" and it is a lot cheaper to fill up than my car! The pros DEFINITELY outweigh the cons. It will be neat to look back a year or more from now and see how I was progressing in the sport (miles rode, speed, general agony I was in post ride, etc.) I am planning on commuting to work. (4.8 miles one way). The only thing that will stop me is the bike storage situation. I don't think there is anywhere to lock it up outside, and I don't know if they will let me lock it up inside. (That and I still have to get in better shape before I will be able to ride 5 miles then be on my feet for 8-9 hrs then have another 5 mile ride then go to marching band rehearsal for 2 hrs).

My Bicycles:

My fun road bike is an older Bianchi I found under my house in Tuscumbia. It was left there by the previous owner. I called him up and told him that he left a nice bike and he told me to keep it. So I did. I have enjoyed it ALOT.

My general commuter/work horse is a old no-name mountain bike that I pulled out of a neighbors trash heap when I was in the 6th grade. When i found it it was just a frame. I re-built it out of parts from other bikes i had laying around and rode the devil out of it. I wouldn't take a million dollars for it. I'm in the process of making it a little more commuter friendly by putting street tires, fenders, racks, lights, and LOTS of reflective tape.


My wife has been very supportive of my cycling endeavors. She has always been accepting of my obsessions at the time (like reef aquariums and musical instrument repair, both of witch I still enjoy and spend time doing). But this is something that we can enjoy together and help each other get healthier.


Well there it is. My first "Blog".

No comments: